The student news site of Borah High School

The Borah Senator

Filed under Opinion

Barron Trump tormented by media

+Man+reading+about+Barron+Trump+and+Donald+Trump+after+US+elections+Donald+Trump+as+the+President+as+45th.+President+of+United+States+of+America
 Man reading about Barron Trump and Donald Trump after US elections Donald Trump as the President as 45th. President of United States of America

DepositPhotos.com subscription

DepositPhotos.com subscription

When Donald Trump moved into the Oval Office, he was not the only person who received heat.

Trump has five children. His oldest–Donald Trump Jr. (39), Ivanka Trump (35) and Eric Trump (33)–were with his first wife, Ivana. Tiffany Trump (23) came from Trump’s second marriage with Marla Maples. His youngest son, Barron Trump (10), is the only child of Trump’s third marriage with Melania.

Trump’s family has always been in the spotlight with him. The oldest three are probably more used to the attention, what with their  prominent roles in the Trump company. However, it’s not difficult to imagine that the youngest children, Tiffany and Barron, are not as use to the public scrutiny.

Trump’s presidential race has brought Tiffany and Barron out of the shadows. Tiffany’s role in the campaign was to speak on her father’s behalf and to help his case with women, along side her sister Ivanka.

Barron Trump’s role was to continue to be the  10-year-old boy. His first real exposure to the public was at the Republican Convention, at which Trump was announced as the Republican nominee.  After the convention, a video of clips focusing on Barron came out, and the   person who created the video analyzed Barron’s behavior and  concluded that Barron was autistic.

Celebrities and many other people then commented about this young boy’s autism. The issue with this is that Barron is not autistic. He is a 10-year-old boy who was trying to stay awake on a really late night. He behaved like any child that age would at that time of night.

At the inauguration, SNL writer Katie Rich tweeted, “Barron will be this country’s first home schooled shooter.” Rich quickly realized her mistake and deleted her comment, but not before people took pictures of her post.

Children of the First Family are often  in the press and media. These children are moved into the White House, not knowing how their lives are going to be changed by their father’s (or mother’s) change in job. While they are trying to figure out how to handle this huge transition in their lives, these children  are proceeding with the unflinching  eye of the country staring them down.

Being 10 is a weird and awkward time during which children are trying to figure out who they are. Most are just trying to survive, and shouldn’t be subjected to adults who publicly criticize and make up lies about them. While it is hard at any age to deal with bullies, it is even more difficult to deal with them when such bullying is published in newspapers and  posted all over social media.

While it is impossible to take back the words already  out there. We can watch ourselves now and make sure that we are not treating  the children of politicians unfairly.