The student news site of Borah High School

The Borah Senator

Filed under News

Five newspaper graduates place in Youth Journalism International contest

Among entries from across the globe, five Borah students placed in the 2017 Youth Journalism International contest.

Gabriel Abile

2017 Grad

CARTOONS

HONORABLE MENTION: Gabriel Abille of Borah High School, Boise, Idaho, for “Anniversary of the Berlin Wall.”

Demi Manglona

2017 Grad

REVIEWS, FILM AND THEATER

FIRST PLACE:  Demi Nicole Manglona of Borah High School, Boise, Idaho, for “Anticipated Superhero Blockbuster Falls Flat.”  

Manglona’s review not only hits the nail on the head that BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN – DAWN OF JUSTICE was a deeply flawed movie, but she adequately susses out why it is a disappointment. Her assessment of character development, pacing issues, and placing the film in the continuum of previous DC outings (as well as contrasting it with the more successful Marvel outings), shows that she put a great deal of thought into the importance of a film uniting two beloved franchises. Blockbuster films are not always smart; Demi’s review was. The only reservation is that a quick summation of the plot may be helpful to the reader, but, let’s face it, with a title like ‘Batman vs. Superman,’ we pretty much know what is coming.

Brooke Kerley

2017 Grad

SPORTS OPINION

FIRST PLACE:  Brooke Kerley of Borah High School, Boise, Idaho, for “Junior Lands Dream of Playing College Soccer.”

Well reported effort to break down the negative jock stereotype.

Courtney Biagi

2016 Grad

OPINION

HONORABLE MENTION: Courtney Biagi of Borah High School, Boise, Idaho, for “Social Media Posts Distort Mental Illness.”

A nicely crafted opinion piece about a timely and sensitive topic. Good introduction, body and conclusion.

Hana Krogness

2016 Grad

PROFILE

HONORABLE MENTION: Hana Krogness of Borah High School, Boise, Idaho, for ” Photographer spotlights Boise’s adoptance of refugee groups.”
Well organized story line and good use of details. Captured the essence of the photographer.