The student news site of Borah High School

The Borah Senator

Filed under News, Uncategorized

Levy vote needed to maintain class sizes and funding

Increased class sizes, loss in faculty, and cut programs are the three greatest outcomes most likely to take affect if the district levy does not pass at the ballots in March, according to a FAQ sheet on Borah School Fusion.

This levy, set to be voted on by the public March 13, will provide a projected $14 million for schools to preserve their existing state. “The main goal is to maintain the present level of education and class sizes and continue providing a variety of classes,” said Bonita Hammer, Borah’s principal.

Some critics of the levy ask for other means for gathering money, such as the District’s “rainy-day” fund. However, this money has gone dry according to the FAQ sheet, and the regular property taxes that fund the district are not enough. “The Boise School District is funded by property taxes, and property value has gone down,” said Hammer.

The levy asks for $14 million, considerably less than the $94 million voters agreed to in March 2005 for new facilities such as the reconstruction of several new junior high and elementary schools. This levy would increase property taxes for the individual

homeowner by $7, based on the average Ada county home value.

Boise schools face consequences if the levy is not passed. According to the BSD, class sizes would increase around 4 to 6 students per classroom. Also, more than 200 teachers and faculty would be cut, to compensate for a $15 million deficit for the 2012-13 school year.

“Schools are already in need of supplies, and it will be harder for teachers to do their jobs and students to do their jobs,” said U.S. and European history teacher Jayne Davis.

“If we want to offer what we’re offering, we need the money,” said American government teacher Ron Freeman, adding, “We need this to pass, and we need the economy to get better.”

Wristbands have been spotted in the public, bearing simply the date of the levy, according to Freeman, as well as picket signs in front lawns. But, campaigns for the levy have been mostly through word of mouth.