The student news site of Borah High School

The Borah Senator

Timberline cheerleader takes academic classes at Borah

Teachers at Borah have experience with the deaf and hard of hearing.

Mesenhimer-Molet cheers with Timberline for a boys basketball game at Borah Feb 9.

Brianna White

Brianna White

Junior Ethan Mesenhimer-Molet is not only a Borah Lion, but also a Timberline Wolf. During fifth period, his travel period, he leaves the Jungle and enters the Den. While he joins our Pride in the morning, you will see him cheerleading for Timberline during its football and basketball seasons.

Mesenhimer-Molet attends Borah because he is partially deaf in the right ear and completely deaf in the left.  He explained, “The teachers have experience with hard of hearing and deaf students, and Borah is the home of the deaf and hard of hearing.”

He noted that Borah teachers “are able to connect with you on a more personal level, if you tell them about your experiences.” The teachers at Borah were willing to go above and beyond to help a student with specific needs.

On the topic of differences between Borah and Timberline, Messenhimer-Molet said, “It’s kind of hard… because there is money in the system, sometimes it’s a good thing and sometimes it’s a negative thing.”

He added, that the money sometimes creates corruption in the system- at times there are favorites chosen, special treatments, or special placement.   

On the other hand, his ceramics class is heading up to Portland the week after spring break. Because Timberline is a richer school than Borah, he said there are more opportunities like this trip.

Mesenhimer-Molet said the  22 cheerleaders at Timberline are close, and like any other normal cheer team they have their drama, but they compete together and even hang out outside of cheer. They have districts coming up against other Boise and 5A schools in the area on Feb. 25.

Mesenhimer-Molet goes to Timberline for two reasons, one being ceramics. He is in Ceramics 2 and Ceramics 3.

The other reason he goes to Timberline is because of cheer. “I started my freshman year when my original coach approached me and said, ‘I think you’d be really good at this. I want you to try it, I’d love to see you at tryouts. Great scholarship money, great opportunities for the future.’ I agreed, went to tryouts, and the rest is history.”

His first coach, he said , is the reason he stays at Timberline for cheer. He connected with her, her coaching style, and Timberline’s system. After she passed away, he decided that cheering at Timberline was the best option in order to continue skills he acquired these past two years.

Some students may have been to both Timberline and Borah, but not many go to each every single day. Mesenhimer-Molet is one of the few to be able to compare them  since he attends both.

“There are definitely pros and cons about both schools,” Mesenhimer-Molet said.