The student news site of Borah High School

The Borah Senator

Filed under Books

Summer love triangle leaves reader obsessed

The cover of the library's copy of The Summer I Turned Pretty

Hailey Hasenyager

Hailey Hasenyager

The Summer I Turned Pretty is the first in a trilogy and is an amazing book that I could not put down. Jenny Han wrote a beautiful story about a young girl who was always considered that, just a little girl. Belly has never been considered pretty or beautiful. She has only been seen as the little sister. But this summer, she is finally noticed, boys start to see her beauty.

The book starts on the drive to Cousins Beach, the only place Belly truly lives for. I love how she explains that she measures her life in summers. It shows how much her summers at Cousins mean to her. In the book, Belly has flashbacks to past summers. I love the flashbacks because it gives background to why Belly thinks the way she does, and shows what events are most important to her. Belly, her mom, and her brother spend the whole summer in a beach house with Susannah and her two boys. The beach house is a summer ritual. They go there every summer, and stay there until right before school starts back up.

Susannah and her boys are very close with Belly and her family. Susannah is Belly’s mom’s best friend, and a second mom to Belly. She is one of the most important people in Belly’s life. With Susannah having two boys, Belly is the closest thing she has to a daughter. They have a very close bond that even Belly and her mom don’t share. Their relationship is precious and sweet and one that I love. I wish there were more moments between Susannah and Belly.

When Belly arrives at the beach house, Conrad is introduced into the story. Conrad, one of the two sons of Susannah’s, has been Belly’s long time crush and explains how in love with him she is.Conrad is introduced as a handsome and mysterious teen. Immediately, I was interested and wanted to learn more about Conrad. Then Jeremiah is introduced, which is Conrad’s younger brother. He is this cute goofy guy who you can immediately tell has a crush on Belly. When both of the brothers were described, I found myself liking Jeremiah more. He had a better personality and seemed more fun. In the middle of the story, Belly gets her first boyfriend, Cam. I was really intrigued with the book when this happened because this causes a love triangle. I got really excited, and it made me question throughout the rest of the book, who Belly would choose. Would Belly push away her feelings for Conrad, and stay with Cam? Will she fall madly in love with Cam and forget about Conrad?

Belly in some ways was very immature and at times got on my nerves. It is like she expected to get everything that she wanted, she would be upset if things didn’t go exactly the way she wanted. This book sent me through a rollercoaster of emotions, it made me laugh, cry and at times frustrated. This is an amazing book and I would recommend it to anybody. It is a fun book that makes the reader obsessed with it.