The student news site of Borah High School

The Borah Senator

Filed under Life, News, Spread

The Lion Share food locker

Some students have noticed a big, green locker in the main entrance and asked themselves what’s in it? It happens to be a food locker for any attending student.

The Lion Share food locker has been installed to help the  many students who don’t get to eat after they leave school. Many students’ parents experience  the same challenge,  and don’t have access to much food for the day or weekend.

Social Worker Becky Woodland said in an email to Borah staff, “Mr. Standlee has had this installed to help support our students in making sure they have enough food at home after school and on the weekends.  It will be available for students, parents, and community members 24/7 to access quick, easy food as needed.”

Principal Tim Standlee had the idea for this project, due to his belief that no one should go home hungry after school.

“A simple fix for simple problems,” said Standlee to how he could fix this big problem. It’s  easily accessible for all students, parents, and community members, and it’s never locked. The feedback has been positive, as many students and parents have taken home goods for their families. .

Within only a couple of days of installation of the food locker, social worker Becky Woodland again emailed Borah staff.  Her email said, “United Way just filled my car with food / dry good donations!  Check out how full the food cabinet is!  While I was there loading it, there was a family out front and they took a huge box.  They were SOOOO grateful!!”

She added, “And there are dozens of hygiene kits and shoes that will be added soon!!  Thanks, United Way!!!”

If you would like to donate some food or even take some, all you have to do is go to the main entrance of the school and grab what you want or donate if you can. Donations will be received and organized in the counseling office.

Suggested Food Donations

Easy quick meals like:

canned chili/ravioli/soup
pasta and pasta sauce
hamburger helper
tuna packs
mac n’ cheese
easymac
stew

easy snacks like:
chips
trailmix
granola bars
cereals
dried fruit
applesauce packs
drinks like:
vitamin drinks
juice boxes
bottled water
dry goods like:
easy quick meals like:
canned chili/ravioli/soup
pasta and pasta sauce
hamburger helper
tuna packs
mac n’ cheese
easymac
stew
easy snacks like:
chips
trailmix
granola bars
cereals
dried fruit
applesauce packs
dry goods likes:
toilet paper
shampoo
diapers
deodorant