The student news site of Borah High School

The Borah Senator

Filed under Featured

Beauty, fashion is in the eye of the high schooler

I have always been told that life is like walking on a stage

Writer Corissa Campbell speaks fashion.

Writer Corissa Campbell speaks fashion.

Phoenix Dunn

Phoenix Dunn

Writer Corissa Campbell speaks fashion.

Corissa Campbell

Phoenix Dunn
Writer Corissa Campbell speaks fashion.

All of you are likely sitting and contemplating whether you can really pull off that beautiful summer cardigan or those high and bold stilettos.

Some of you  are  confused  whether something looks cute or not. Your friends may come back and reply to your picture sent via text; that your out- fit is ugly and that you should just thrift it right away. Some of you may not even care what you look like and couldn’t care less of what people think about your daily outfits and styles.

Or you’re like me, a confused senior who is trying to write and finish this story by the due date, a girl who really loves fashion and aesthetic looks that are pleasing to the eye, a girl who is  just a little late to class every day due to early morning catastrophes and closet disasters.

If you can relate to any of these situations, I suggest you keep reading. If you don’t care about any of these circumstances (or even this whole story in general) I suggest you just turn the page. This year is my final year at Borah.

I have spent most of my high school career investigating my style and critiquing it to be absolutely perfect. It was a huge slap in the face when an outfit did not turn out how I wanted it to.

Although I am no fashion guru, I have decided to write this story in hopes of helping  people  better  understand  the meaning of being beautiful.

The definition of beautiful is: pleas- ing the senses or mind aesthetically. It is simply an adjective that means so little, yet when it is said towards someone else, it can mean so much. As a current student in high school knows; “beautiful” is a girl.

I know what you are thinking, “beautiful” is a word not a living thing. However, if you have ever come in con- tact with this word in person, the word turns into a feeling and then that feeling can become a person.

No, this is not biology class, my people. I am definitely not going to open textbooks and explain to you the many cells that make up the word beautiful  or lecture you on how a person or thing can become beautiful. It is so much more than that.

Maybe he dumped you because he thinks you are ugly. Maybe you dumped him because you think he is ugly. Or maybe, you’re both ugly. Shhhhh! Your secret is safe with me. I won’t tell. I’m only a piece of paper that you are blankly staring at and judging.

Now, before you totally freak out about how a piece of paper just called you ugly, don’t. That is not what I said. Well, it is what I said; but that is not what I meant. Everyone is so set on how someone looks that we tend to forget what’s really inside; unless you happen to have  taken anatomy.  What is  inside of a person is what truly matters. Too bad we can’t see that though. However this is not a sob story, this is a story of confidence. If you have ever heard the term “confidence is key,” then you are in a pretty good place. If not, you are now, because you just read it silly!

You probably don’t feel very different though; and I don’t blame you. In order to feel confident, you have  to believe  it. Confidence ties into everything that you do, from the clothes you wear to the shoes you walk in.

For all of my life people have come  up to me exclaiming how tall I am. With my eyes rolling due to the absolute obvious statement they just said, they ask me, “Corissa, do you play basketball or any sports?” The answer to that is no, I do not. Honey, I don’t have the correct personality to do so.

Confidence plays a great part in sports. You have to be confident in yourself to succeed. Well, me…I just stand there in the middle of the court waiting for the ball to come to me.

The reason I brought up sports in a fashion/beauty story is because, if you can relate to that confidence you have on the court, field, or track, then you are already halfway there to knowing how it feels to feel comfortable in your own skin.

If you don’t play sports, don’t worry! I’ve got good things to tell you! You my friend, are going to have to find that confidence from within yourself and bring it out. Being tall, it has always made it hard for me to gain that confidence.

I always felt like I was born in the wrong body. My personality is shorter than my height. But that is not true after all, because I found that confidence; and I express it with the clothes I wear and how I present myself.

Now that we have gone through the confidence stage, we can get to the fun stuff! Fashion and beauty comes from within. Yes, I cannot see what is hap- pening inside of you and you cannot see what is happening inside me.

Fashion gives us the chance to bring what is within to the public stage of your life. I have always been told that life is like walking on a stage. You are show- ing off to everyone your bright smile and what you have to offer the world.

Then, I would always reply back with “Might as well do it wearing something cute then!”

Just as the young people of our world are the future in labor and work, we are also the future in fashion.

Discovering our own unique styles and sharing them with everyone around the  world  keeps  fashion  alive  and  is a way to express yourself. Expressing yourself is beautiful; because you are beautiful. That is all that it is about. There are no doubts or questions about it. Being true to yourself and expressing it is what makes you beautiful.