The student news site of Borah High School

The Borah Senator

The Germans Have Come

Teacher%3A+Pia+Liebig+is+on+the+left%2C+then+it%27s+%28from+left+to+right%29+Leoni+Pflaum%2C+Johanna+Gottwald%2C+Imke+Kaufmann%2C+Hannah+Schauer%2C+Elena+Heidig%2C+Henrike+Schrott%2C+Lena+Wiemann%2C+Vanessa+G%C3%B6rtler%2C+Jana+Jobst%2C+Lisa+Partsch.+
Teacher: Pia Liebig is on the left, then it's (from left to right) Leoni Pflaum, Johanna Gottwald, Imke Kaufmann, Hannah Schauer, Elena Heidig, Henrike Schrott, Lena Wiemann, Vanessa Görtler, Jana Jobst, Lisa Partsch.

“The Germans are coming!” Frau B, or Mrs. Beautrow, German and creative writing teacher here at Borah High School, exclaimed excitedly to her third period German class. On the eighth, ten girls from an all girl’s school in Bamberg. With their arrival, they brought a new perspective to not only our school, but to the typical day-to-day American life — including thoughts on our cars, food, and stores.

Firstly and most importantly, they actually didn’t bring up our infamous obesity rates until the very end. Until that point, the only things they noted as big were our supermarkets, cars, and “especially the ice cream,” said Leoni Pflaum. The American’s love of guns was also noted by Hannah Schauer, who also, as the others, remarked that the two countries aren’t very similar besides our mundane tasks, like being on our phones in class.

As for our differences, excluding American stereotypes, a majority of the German exchange students said that we are much nicer than their people, more open to the unknown — our friendliness was their all-time favorite, which overall made them less nervous about coming to Boise after previously being in San Francisco:

I was in San Francisco before we went to Boise and there were so many nice people, and if you ask someone something … they always try and help … that’s pretty cool,” said Hannah. Her, being the only one to say her dislike, said that she unfavored Donald Trump — she otherwise has not met an unfriendly person and appreciates the US country just as the others do.

Our differences also extended to the way we and our German partners run schools.

While students here go from class to class, the Germans have their teachers come to the students. The Germans also perceive the way we are taught as easy, Johanna Gottwald saying, “I really like the school … they are not so strong like in Germany. They don’t have so many hard rules and so on. Everything is taken easier.”

“…it’s more stressful and not so easy,” Henrike Schrott added on. She then goes on about the American teachers and said, “They are a little bit more fun, and they are not so [strict].”