The student news site of Borah High School

The Borah Senator

Filed under Featured, Opinion

Misrepresentation in movies angers teen

Pan. Doctor Strange. Gods of Egypt. These movies and others have much more in common than one would think. And it’s not the fact that most of them are quite action packed, no, it’s that they are all whitewashed. Now for some it’s a touchy subject, with one side arguing the director was just taking artistic liberties or wanted the best they could find. On the other hand we have those who say it takes away from cultural pride for those outside the Caucasian race. It’s discriminating, and for those non-white kids growing up, it’s dangerous. They could grow up thinking they could never be an actor/actress because they never see any colored actors, or they see a white person playing the role of someone they know is supposed to be Latino or African American.

Of course sometimes it goes beyond just whitewashing, sometimes they take those Caucasian actors and try to make them look like the race they’re supposed to be playing. Anyone remember the 2012 movie, Cloud Atlas? Now that movie is a prime example of this happening. They took Caucasian actors and gave them folded lids and yellow makeup to make them appear Asian. Now this may not have been talked about a lot due to the fact that the film was a flop. Not enough people went to see it too cause a major stir in the media, most who did see it just thought it was racist and confusing.

Now the practice of whitewashing started since Hollywood has existed. Breakfast at Tiffany’s is a fine example, right along Short Circuit. We just never noticed until we  stopped and looked back on the actual terrible things Hollywood has done. Not just with whitewashing, but having actors starve themselves for roles or method acting to the point of insanity. But enough about Hollywood’s shortcomings.

We need to start cracking down on films and film producers. We are the mass consumers, us, teenagers. We have the control, we are the future, and quite frankly what we do here and now could decide just how our future will be shaped. Do we want to be like our predecessors? Unkind, selfish, and all too willing to put a fellow man down just to get a ahead. We let the media poison us with using tv and editorials and giving all the right attention to all the wrong people. We have to stand up against this and fight. When we see an unjust move played, call them out. Stand together as a community and force others to see just how destructive they are being. And I don’t mean force with our fists, but with our mental actions. Boycott a movie that supports stereotypes, ignore and unfollow negative people who just want to see this world burn, turn us against each other and while we’re at our own throats, take power and turn this nation into something the founding fathers never wanted it to become.

So we make change, to become better people, and a better country as a whole. And it all starts with one thing. Action. And I’m not saying use force and fight but make a conscientious decision, and do the right thing.

It is 2017. Why are we still casting white people in non-white roles? There is no excuse or need for it anymore. But it still happens to this day. And every time it does, there are complaints. And the responses are always that they cast “the best person” for the role. But that usually just means they cast the most famous person they could get. And since most of those are white people, the roles always end up being whitewashed. It’s time for this to stop. Way past time. Bring about the new world order teens, it’s about time we brought this nation back to what it was meant to be: Great.